Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Big Peach Drizzler

It was drizzling when I woke up yesterday morning, and it was forecasted to be like that most of the day, so Mr. Blondie got a reprieve. I decided to go to the race alone rather than drag everyone out of bed at 5am to stand outside in the rain.

I left the camera and phone in the car so I wouldn’t have to worry about them getting soggy. Sorry post is going to be short on pictures.

I don’t have much to say about this race. Just like the weather, the whole thing was just sort of bleh for me.

I knew I was in trouble when I came through the first mile in 7:04 and already felt exhausted. My splits got worse from there….7:08, 7:18, 7:22, 7:24, 7:05.

My final chip time was 45:12. That would be 1 second per mile slower than my ½ marathon pace back in June. Oy.

I felt like I was working really hard the entire race and my body wasn’t responding. I can’t pinpoint anything in particular that went wrong. Shrug.

It just wasn’t the race I was hoping to run.

Since the US 10K Classic was cancelled this year, it meant a huge increase in the size of this race. What I thought was a congested start last year was even more congested this year. Lots of bobbing. weaving, and even screeching to a full stop a few times. It took about a minute before I even crossed the starting line. Bummer they used gun time to determine placing for everyone. I would have finished quite a few spots higher since people with slower chip times are listed ahead of me.

Per IAAF and USATF rules that’s how it’s supposed to be done. However most races give the top 3 awards in that manner, but then use chip time for the rest. That’s how they did it last year.

OK, so maybe it was my fault for being a little distracted. I was busy chatting with Kristy (She still ran a PR! Woohoo!) You couldn’t even tell where the starting line was though. There was no crowd control, or any semblance of organization at the start.

All of a sudden we hear the gun go off, but nobody started moving. We're all looking around like "what the hell?" It felt like forever before we began to shuffle forward. Had I known I was so far back from the starting line, I would have been a little pushier about getting closer.

I digress…….

Anyway, Team Aquaphor member Griffen Ellington and I nabbed a picture together with the winner of the race afterwards.

If you thought running a race was easy, just look into our zombie eyes. Quick somebody toss us a protein drink!

It was a point-to-point race, and you had to find your own mode of transportation back to the start. I had originally planned on running part of the way back, then taking my time to walk the rest. I got a nice, heavy swag bag at the post-race party that I didn’t want to part with, so I had to re-think that plan.

With goodies in hand, I took a MARTA train back to the parking lot (which took almost an hour since you have to make a transfer and they were running on a holiday schedule), dropped my stuff off, then headed out for another 3.1 miles at 8:33/mi pace. We’ll call this my “long run” for the week. Even though I had a nice long break in between, it gave my muscles the chance to start tightening up, making the last few miles more challenging.

I did a lot of stretching and massaging when I got home. I’m not sore at all today. Good thing since I’ve got another 5k with Lee coming up in 4 days!

What do you think about gun vs. chip timing?

Net Time: 45:12
Pace: 7:16/mi
Gender: 22/514
AG: 5/94


  1. That's still a great time! I have to admit - I'm a little glad I opted out of that one though. :)

  2. Sorry the race didn't go as well as you wanted. I didn't even think about how crowded it would be with that other race cancelled. Vinings will be better!

  3. I believe in the chip. Gun timing just isn't fair because it's crazy to get to the start line. Sorry it didn't go how you planned but still - respectable and super fast in my eyes!

  4. Think I uncovered the problem form Monday. Hoping we'll both be on our game tomorrow!