Tuesday, June 23, 2009

We made it to the lake on Thursday after all. It was M’s only request for Father’s Day, that we spend the day together there as a family, so I couldn't say no. It was our first time going to Lake Lanier, and it was a much closer drive from our house than we expected. I think we’ll be making the trip more often. Baby girl didn’t want anything to do with her life vest so we took turns staying behind on the dock with her. We both had the chance to successfully wakeboard. It helped that our friends had good equipment and a boat specifically outfitted for pulling a skier. (Every time I try wakeboarding behind M’s boat I get ploughed face first through the water.)

Somehow we pulled it off and made it from the lake to the airport for our intended 7pm flight to Philly. Unfortunately the last flight of the night was cancelled which automatically made the one we wanted to be oversold. C’lest la vie. After missing out on the flight, we returned home. Since I’m terrible about keeping secrets and surprises to myself, I gave M his Father’s day present early….a new casting reel. Not really sure what makes it different from his other fishing reels, but he’s wanted it for awhile and was thrilled.

By 6:30 am we were back at the airport. M had a trip of his own to leave for, so we parted ways in the terminal for our flight to Philly. Little E got to have her own seat which is a godsend when I’m traveling alone with her. My parents picked us up at the airport, and we went straight to LBI.

The saying holds true. You get what you pay for. My parents bought Little E an $80 infant life vest to wear on their boat. And she actually wore it. The $25 one we picked up at Dick’s Sporting Goods on our way to the Lake ellicited hysterical screaming, but she was perfectly content in this one. The safety ratings were exactly the same but the comfort level was obviously different. We’ve already ordered another one online.

It was too cold to go in the water, but it was so refreshing just to be by the sea. Little E got to smoosh her chubby little feet in the sand for the 1st time. The look on her face was priceless. She also loved watching the seagulls play in the water. My mom bought E three bathing suits and a menagerie of hats, sundresses, and toys. The kid would be happy in a diaper, but she needs her own suitcase coming home from Grandma’s.

We spent the night at LBI, and my mom watched Little E in the morning so I could go for a long run on the beach.. It felt so good to do that. Afterwards, I even got to sit on the deck and enjoy a cup of coffee in peace.

Next stops on the tour included a Saturday afternoon BBQ with my mom’s side of the family, and Sunday brunch with my Dad’s side of the family.

My parents were gracious enough to buy my return ticket, so I wouldn’t have to stress about getting home. I had no worries getting to the airport, but once I boarded the plane it was a different story. We’ve both been spoiled by not having to do whole “infant in arms” thing too often. Little E was determined to wiggle off my lap, and nothing would stop the crying. Admittedly, I felt slightly less guilty about making a ruckus knowing my seat was paid for, but I still felt frazzled. Fortunately nearby passengers were kind, and I didn’t get any noticeable death stares. Once we were airborn she quieted down and fell asleep on my lap.

I'm exhausted, but it worth the trip to spend time with family. Hopefully I'll be recovered by the weekend. Picutres to come shortly.

1 comment:

  1. Hope didn't like her life vest either. We waited until it was nap time to put her on the boat, so at least once we were moving, she would be tired and fall asleep.